HOUSE OF COMMONS: ECO-TOWNS TOPICAL DEBATE, 19th June
- consensus forms around "sustainable urban extensions" or eco-burbs, "mistake to focus only on freestanding new development"
- eco-towns now "triggers of substantial economic growth"
- plan to abandon zero-carbon (level 6) target for housing sustainability a "farce"
- eco-town timetable completely impractical: "a lorry of building material every 20 seconds for the next 10 years"
- Lembit Opik to run his personal aircraft on biofuel, Pennbury eco-town would stop him flying to see his Mum
- Caroline Flint to visit in July or August
Read the Hansard transcript of the debate
Read Tony Baldry, MP's comments